Co-Chair

Social Entrepreneurship

I've been traveling like a madwoman to various conferences and speaking engagements. I could write a book on what I am learning, but for the sake of brevity, I'd like to post on the idea of social entrepreneurship. The keynote of the NCTI conference last Wednesday was Jim Fruchterman, a literal rocket scientist, who has decided to do good in Silicon by founding a company called Benetech He clearly was a brilliant fellow and I was impressed with his Bookshare initiative, which digitizes books for the learning, hearing, and visually impaired. His efforts extend to helping human rights causes via technology, too. I think his organization is well worth following.

Secondly, on the plane ride home, I met a young woman who works for TOMS, a company that makes cute espadrille-type shoes to benefit shoeless people in other areas of the world. The head of her company is now in South Africa, doing a shoe drop for people in need. Krissy also told me about two other organizations that she's involved with in which they sell merchandise to raise money: Invisible Children and To Write Love on Her Arms. Combined with the purchase of a laptop for my daughter via OLPC, thinking about the sense of energy and hope these groups bring to the global table makes me hopeful for our planet! I'm glad idealism still exists. Anyone know of similar groups that they want to share?

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –