Web 2.0 and globalization

Dear all, I am a lecturer at Technical University - Sofia, Bulgaria and in my practice I use web 2.0 technologies. Also as a researcher I am looking for new learning models which to engage and activate students. Now I am working on Web 2.0 and the possibilities for implementation of the global education behind different cultures and educational systems. Now I am interested in the answers of questions like: Which are the main characteristics of globalization in the education nowadays? How Web 2.0 supports globalization in elearning? How to design the right elearning instructional models for collaborative and self-organized learning in Web 2.0 environment?

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Malinka

I agree with those who believe that Web 2.0 applications are very significant in supporting globalization in education.

I think they also offer one of the best counters to the negative attitudes towards globalization referred to by Manfred Steger in Globalization: A Very Short Introduction. Although he refers to globalization of culture more broadly I feel that his thoughts are helpful to us thinking about education in particular. Much of what we do in education shapes the social values that we hold. Steger refers to the negative hyperglobablisers who fear the creation of McWorld, a soulless, sameness everywhere. Others see that this can be a good thing if it lifts people out of poverty and promotes democratic political institutions. But frequently the impression left is totally ‘push’ by anonymous ‘others’ shaping the future.

The important thing about Web 2.0 is that it represents the opportunities for multiple dialogues and undermines any tendency to domination by one voice or even a few voices. But for this to happen, education is essential; we need to be sure that people feel they have the necessary skills to access the conversation and these are skills in technology and communication. In addition people need to have good quality internet access but perhaps this is less of an issue really; one has only to see how ubiquitous television antennas and dishes are throughout even the remotest parts of the world.

I would be interested to know if others feel that their attitudes to globalization are affected by their local cultural backgrounds and if so how?

In case anyone is interested, see Steger, M. 2003. Globalization: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press, NY

Perdita
    • The interaction between local culture and globalization is really interesting to consider. I'm from New York City, but now live in Virginia. In their own ways, both are very provincial cultures (yes, New York is provincial).

My attitudes toward globalization have been influenced by both sets of experiences but perhaps not in ways that I realized till recently. Growing up and living in provincial cultures, I think I came to appreciate the value of local/provincial cultures. I don't always agree with some of the shortcomings, but I do like the rootedness that New Yorkers and Virginians have. Their connectedness to their traditions and customs gives them something special and avoids the tendency toward "McWorld".

If anyone has read Anthony Appiah's Cosmopolitanism, he does an excellent need to balance global communities with a connection to local cultures.
  • “Globalization is not just a trend, not just a phenomenon, not just an economic fad. It is the international system that has replaced the cold-war system. And like the cold war system, globalization has its own rules, logic, structures and characteristics.” (Friedman, p.2)

While Fiji is a group of small islands in a vast ocean, it is not isolated from the rest of the world. Colonization, commercial opportunity and curiosity have brought a great number of people to these shores over the past couple of centuries.

Globalization appears to be very much a continuation process. On the positive side it is allowing greater opportunity for Fijians to go to the rest of the world rather than Fiji simply being the recipient of foreign cultures here.

On the negative side, such global movements of culture have left indigenous Fijians vulnerable and the threat they feel to their identity as a distinct culture is a very significant aspect of the political turmoil in Fiji.

Kerishma
    • Hi Kerishma! The globalization can be examined in different aspects and in the different context. My research interests are focused on how globalization process can be supported from Web 2.0 technologies. Kerishma, what are your interests in this area, because I am looking for co-authors of scientific paper? ...and it is pleasure to meet you! Malinka
  • Thank you, Lucy for your professional opinion. I will examine the Vicki Davis' and Julie Lindsay's projects and I would like to say that I am so glad to join this network. Also, I hope that here I will have possibility to contact with experts in the area of global education.
  • Co-Chair
    Hi Malinka -

Welcome! You have posed some great questions and I'm not sure I can answer them thoroughly. In response to the first one, I'm guessing that globalization in education may look different in various countries. I know that here in the U.S, there seems to be a tendency to push global and collaborative initiatives with the reasoning that we have to prepare our students to "compete" in a global economy. To me personally, it's so much more than that... it's more about preparing our students to experience all that the world has to offer. Web 2.0 applications are indeed the perfect way to support this, particularly for adults seeking professional development and support. I think you'll find some examples here and you should also check out Vicki Davis' and Julie Lindsay's projects involving their high school students. Both are members here and have posted links to their work. And finally, for some reason, I think Ning is a great tool for facilitating that self-organizing that you mention... anyone can do it, people seem to like the interface, and it provides some personalization through photos, video, comments etc. The trick is to find a way for all of these new and emerging technologies to trickle down to the average teacher; a lot of this is still overwhelming to many, many teachers.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
This reply was deleted.