Pinwheels for Peace

I'm writing see to see if there are other classrooms/schools around the globe that are participating in the PinwheelsforPeace project on Monday, September 22nd. I was hoping to connect the students in my school with other students participating in this project through shared school/class blogs, video conferencing or a wiki page with either streaming video from the global participants or perhaps a voicethread. Please let me know if you're interested in my project by posting here and what technology tools seems most appropriate for you. My goal for this project is to build awareness and make connections. I hope to have the final project idea determined by this weekend.

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AOK my project idea is complete. Teachers should create the pinwheels with students as stated on the Pinwheels for Peace website and place them in an open area for the wind to carry their messages of peace out into the world. http://pinwheelsforpeace.com/ Photograph or record video of the students before, during and after. I created a Voicethread http://voicethread.com/#u3664.b191264.i1013471 where I will post the drawings, pictures and edited videos teachers send me.

Once complete, students can visit the voicethread to review, connect and reflect on what other students around the world did to celebrate the International Day of Peace.

If you want to participate, e-mail me at CSouthard at herricks dot org and send me the pics or edited videos or video links when you or your teachers are done.

I'll upload them to the voicethread and then the kids can check out what other schools have done and reflect and comment (within the days/weeks that follow) on their experiences and/or continue to share their messages of peace.

Be sure to copy the html code and embed the voicethread on your website and watch it grow.

Right now, I have participants from Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and California. Let me know if you're interested too, as I'd love for our connections to go global.

Remember, the International Day of Peace is next Sunday. However, schools will be participating on Monday, September 22.

Peace be with you.
    - Christine
  • Hey, Christine,

You might be interested in this year's Digital Media and Learning Competition, which is now open (deadline October 15th). The theme this year is participatory learning, which sounds exactly like what you are going for. Participatory learning is defined broadly as using new digital media for sharing ideas or planning, designing, implementing, or just discussing ideas and goals together.

For full information, visit http://www.dmlcompetition.net.

Good luck on your project,
    Mandy
    • Thanks Mandy. That sounds like a great idea.
  • I work at an elementary school and the students participating in the project [from my school] are in grades ranging kindergarten to fifth grade. I'm not sure if there is an age restriction for this project b/c the concept of the pinwheels for peace project is a simple one. The students share their messages of peace with the world by writing them on their pinwheel which will carry their messages into the wind. The pinwheels are placed in front of the school to share the message with the community. I was just looking for a way for participating schools to connect and reflect, since their site only includes pictures in web 1.0 fashion. Voicethread seems to be the most appropriate tool of choice to make this a more collaborative experience since we can share our pictures/video, have students connect and reflect and we can post the experiences on our own websites by sharing the hmtl code.
    • Love it - we are participants and would like to share - we have extensive experience with VoiceThreads (a quick and easy way to share), wikis and blogs.
      • Awesome! I'm so glad you're interested. I'm going to pull it together this weekend. Send me your e-mail when you chance. You can reach me at CSouthard at herricks dot org.
This reply was deleted.