Journey to Global Awareness

I am gathering experiences to share in a poster session at NECC (National Educational Computing Conference) in Atlanta later this month. If you would be kind enough, would you chew on the questions below? Thanks a million. --meredith What is the source of your interest in Global Education (Awareness, Participation, etc)? What's your inspiration? A personal experience, a student, a reading? What have you learned along the way? Reflecting on your own experiences, writing curriculum, implementing it, evangelizing? What component, question or idea are you most passionate about? environment, peace, collaboration, cultural exchange? What are the barriers to implementing or expanding these ideas in classrooms, schools, universities?

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What is the source of your interest in Global Education (Awareness, Participation, etc)?
    I live on an island - in the mid 1980's on a Mac Plus and //e's we set up a BBS to connect the 4 k-8 schools...from there it was a natural link to other schools around the world. Interestingly, they were located ion islands in Alaska, Austrailia, England and New Zealand - In the late 1980s my school was chosen to participate in AGE (Apple Global Education), as with all things Apple, it was brillantly orchestrated. The leader was David Dwyer. We created a learning community and this community was no longer confined to location.

A personal experience, a student, a reading?

Through AGE I learned about the fall of the Berlin Wall from a 9 year old child living in Berlin.

What have you learned along the way? Reflecting on your own experiences, writing curriculum, implementing it, evangelizing?
    Concentrate on curricular context and pedagogical outcomes, embed global education into the learning work of children.

What component, question or idea are you most passionate about? environment, peace, collaboration, cultural exchange?
    Depends upon the age of the students, upon the curriculum. Primarily I think of global collaborations as a means to building and shaping knowledge so that it can become a resource in turn to be reshaped by others. Our school is a place with it doors wide open to the world and a whole new range of possibilities for manipulation, organization and presentation of information as well as for self-expression.

What are the barriers to implementing or expanding these ideas in classrooms, schools, universities?
    One way is to take educators on tours of websites kids design outside of school settings so that they get an insight into the new media literacy and communication skills that our students are developing on their own. Then help them develop classroom activities to reinforce those skills and to help students become critical, ethical, and creative users and global communicators.

this is a quick superficial reply to complex ?'s - Marilyn, please feel free to probe
This reply was deleted.