Skype assistance

Any skype users out there? I'm needing a better understanding of using Skype from another country. Are there charges for using it? I notice they have a plan with a fee associated with it. Any tips, suggestions, problems, from using it overseas?

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the tips. A family member is studying abroad, but I had wondered about the podcasting and recording uses of it as well, so thanks for all the tips!

Isn't networking wonderful! :)
  • We use Skype to talk to our son who is a pilot. It is free computer to computer and we have talked to him all over the world...Japan, Shangi, Paris, Singapore, etc.... If you want to call computer to phone it is a one time charge for a year. I paid $14.95 for a year, but I think it's gone up to maybe $29 or $39, I'm not sure. When we call computer to phone the user on the phone hears an echo or feed back. I'm not sure why. Any ideas out there? Skype is a great application. It has many education uses as well, but we have heavy filters that won't allow it at school.
    • Co-Chair
      Use headphones and you won't get that feedback echoing.
  • Co-Chair
    Hi Carolyn -

I used Skype in Europe last summer to call home to the U.S. I put 10 Euro on my Skype account, and called home nearly every day. By the end of my three week trip, I still had about 8 Euro in my account! You only have to pay when you call a landline, I think, but I could be wrong. Calling someone using computer to computer is free. You can do text and video chatting with Skype as well, but I have not tried video yet as I generally use iChat AV for that. At any rate, Skype worked very well when I was traveling and I've called people in other countries from the US as well... it always provides an astonishing clearly connection.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Lucy
    • Thanks...that's good to know!
This reply was deleted.