Next year, the 5th grade at The School at Columbia is studying China and Greece. Since the olympics are being held in Beijing, I want to try can connect some of my kids with some kids from there. We're going to begin our study by unpacking the word "culture". Of course we'll explore art and food and dance and all the basics, but I think it would be interesting to explore each others gestures. Back in college, I remember reading Clifford Geertz and really clinging to the idea that one's culture is expressed through body language and gesture, ie, we understand different kinds of winks that have different meanings. . . this is still true, but in our flattened world, with emoticons and other universal communication icons, it's different. I would like to put together a video of children gesturing to communicate non-verbally,and then explaining the meaning. To receieve one in response would be thrilling. Anyone interested? Andrew

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Co-Chair
    Hey Andrew -

There was a teacher from Bejing in the NECC workshop led by Julene and myself in June. I came across his business card the other day... let me know if you want his contact info.

Lucy
This reply was deleted.