Saluton!

I'm an elective teacher at a large public middle school in Virginia. It's great to find this network, as it relates directly to the areas I teach! This year I have four different types of classes: 1. English language learner elective - an all-year course for 8th graders (14 years old). This is a "conversational English" class for limited-English students, mostly from Central America. 2. French 1 - an all-year high school-credit course for 8th graders. I want to make connections with teachers in the francophone world for exchanges of videos, audio files, and other resources. 3. Foreign language exploratory (FLEX) - a 9-week course for 7th graders (13 years old) learning to distinguish between major world languages, build enthusiasm for future language study, and practice language learning techniques by learning Esperanto. Happy to have contact with schools that use languages other than English. 4. Global citizenship - a 6-week course for 6th graders (12 years old). Awareness and engagement in pressing world issues like war, poverty, and human rights. We also study the UN, humanitarian groups, and each student becomes an expert on one specific country. Would love to trade ideas and resources with like-minded classes. I hope to meet many of you soon! Check out my blog, where I write about a project to bring middle schoolers into the virtual world Second Life to explore global issues (I also write about educational technology generally).

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Co-Chair
    You need to talk to Steve Wagenseller from the Punahou School in Hawaii about Esperanto. He's a member of this Ning, I think. He teaches the language to middle schoolers.
This reply was deleted.