Introducing.... me.

HI, I am a new computer teacher at a small school in Fernie, BC, Canada. I have taught English and social studies for the past ten years. This year, I have taken on computers, and I teach K-9. This is my first experience with students younger than grade 6. I would like, ov er the year, to involve all of my students in some collaborative project. I am very interested in other people's projec t ideas, especially for younger students.

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jamie, I have just introduced myself on this Ning even though I have been a member for a while. I love listening to the It's Elementary podcast on Edtech Talk even though I only teach older students, from age 12 to 18. I find them really interesting.
  • Hi, Jamie. Three of my students are 9 right now and will turn 10 after Christmas. One of them is third grade and will be 9 in October. I think you will enjoy Think.com. Last year I introduced it gradually, one group at a time starting with four of my top 4th graders. They used Think.com for about a month, then they taught a few of their classmates, who taught a few more, and soon everyone was very knowledgeable. After Christmas last year I introduced it to the 3rd graders and some of the 4th graders came in and helped get them started. It made things go much more smoothly with the additional help and was also good for the kids. My 3rd graders will start this Monday and they will start with a very simple assignment. I am listed under people, Mrs. Harris and you can look at some of the things we are doing. You may be able to search by school...West Blocton Elementary School in Alabama.
    My ThinkQuest team members are going to set up their "Friendship" page next week as well.
  • Hi, Jamie. I have been teaching computer to grades 2-4 for 11 years. We use Think.com which is a free online community for students. My students love it. I also coach a ThinkQuest team (website building). If you google Think.com and ThinkQuest, you can learn more about these free learning tools. Think.com involves more students and you can create projects for students from other schools to join.

Right now, my ThinkQuest team is building a website on kindness. We are looking for students to relate their stories about kindness and their ideas and opinions. If you are interested visit the blog they created http://kindnesskids.blogspot.com If you have any students who would be interested in participating in some projects, keep a kindness journal, or some of the things our kids will also be doing, please let me know!
    • Hi Annette,

Think.com looks interesting. I have just finished the application.

I have a group of grade 3s that I would like to get going on something. How old are your students who are working on the kindness project?

Jamie
    • Co-Chair
      Hi Annette -

We just signed up for Think.com, so I'm glad to hear that your students have responded positively to it!

Lucy Gray
      • Yes, Lucy, it has been a positive thing at our school. In fact, I didn't realize how much it has impacted our students until this week when we received our Technology Surveys from our parents. Almost every one of them responded that they want their children to continue to have access to Think.com!
        I am very interested in other ways of connecting with classroom outside of our state and country as well.
This reply was deleted.