Actionable Innovations Community Notes
The BrainWaves Video Anthology, ISTE, and More
March 4, 2023
We are participating in several community events this month and you are invited to join in the learning! First, join the #globaledchat community on March 16th for a Twitter chat collaboration with #AppleEDULeaderChat at 9 PM ET/ 6 PM PT. Our topic will be Service Learning.
Then, join us Friday, March 17th, for our next Actionable Innovations Conversation. Our guest will be Bob Greenberg of the incredible Brainwaves Video Anthology, and the topic will be Lessons Learned from the World's Most Innovative Thinkers and Doers in Education. Register for this free event here.
Since retiring from classroom teaching in June 2013, Bob has traveled the country filming the thinkers and doers in Education, including Sir Ken Robinson, Noam Chomsky, Herb Kohl, Jonathan Kozol, Linda Darling Hammond, Ken Burns, Henry Louis Gates Jr., Diane Ravitch, Yong Zhao, and Jerome Bruner. His YouTube Channel, The Brainwaves Video Anthology, is a growing collection of 2,000 five-minute bite-sized video lectures from thought leaders, from a 7-year-old to a 99-year-old, from Pulitzer Prize winners to a Nobel Prize winner. It has more than 5 million views in 234 countries.
Finally, we have another Actionable Innovations Conversation scheduled for March 31, 2023, featuring Dr. Kaylah Holland of BreakFree Education. Details are below!
Lucy Gray, Co-Founder, Actionable Innovations Global
Actionable Innovations Conversations
RECORDING: The Power of Evidence: Documentation and Storytelling in Learning Communities with Aaron Schorn of Unrulr
Aaron Schorn joined us recently and showcased the social learning app Unrulr. He spoke about other tools and tactics that allow learners to document/share and tell the story of their process, skills growth, and outcomes. Catch the recording here, and make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel. To get in touch with Aaron, follow him on Twitter and connect with him on LinkedIn.
MARCH 31, 2023: Advocating for Justice-Involved Youth: Disrupting the School-to-Prison Pipeline with Dr. Kaylah Holland
Students involved in the juvenile justice system in the United States often come from and return to public school classrooms after spending time in a secure school located in a detention center or incarceration facility. Join this webinar to learn more about education inside the juvenile justice system and learn how you can disrupt the school-to-prison pipeline by advocating for justice-involved students in your classroom. Register here for this free event.
Opportunities Spotted Around the Web
- The Development Education Research Centre is hosting a webinar on March 8th entitled New Research on Global Education and Learning. Register here.
- How do we educate students for an interconnected world? - OECD is hosting a webinar on March 9th. Register here and check out Global Teaching InSights.
- Former GlobalEdCon keynote speaker Beth Kanter is hosting a webinar on AI for Nonprofits on March 14th. Register here.
- Applications for the NEA Foundation’s Global Learning Fellowship are due April 1, 2023.
- In collaboration with Esri and National Geographic, the Sustainable Development Solutions Network launched SDGs Today to advance the production and use of timely geospatial data for the SDGs.
- Kaylah Holland and Greta Sandler are excited to let you know about the call for virtual and in-person proposals for our ISTELive23: Global Collaboration Playground: Passport to Social Good! You can find out more information by clicking here. Please email Kaylah Holland at email@example.com with questions.
Actionable Innovations Global at ISTE Live23
In case you missed our announcement, we are hosting the face-to-face Global Collaborator Meetup at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Live conference this June in Philadelphia. This event will be similar to the event formerly known as Global Education Day and will feature ignite talks, networking activities, and global education resources. If you are planning on attending ISTE and would like to participate, send Lucy (firstname.lastname@example.org) an email at your earliest convenience.
Professional Learning Survey
Are you interested in attending or presenting at virtual education conferences? We want to hear from you!
If you have news to share, post details in our discussion forum or events page, and if appropriate, we’ll share it in our next missive.
Actionable Innovations Global is the former Global Education Conference Network community under a new name and leadership. Follow us on social media, browse our global education resource collections, subscribe to our blog, and review recordings from our Actionable Innovations Conversations.
If you want to adjust your email preferences or leave our network, visit our help page.