Co-Chair

April 2011 GEC News

Greetings GEC members -

Special Announcement: Live from the Middle East: Classroom Connections Amidst Political Changes

The GEC and iEARN are sponsoring a special webinar on Wednesday, April 20th at 19:00 GMT. Please join us!

In Other News...

Our community continues to grow. Here are our latest stats:

• 4,942 members from 118 countries
  • 2659 photos and 254 videos have been uploaded
  • 932 discussions have been started
  • 67 groups await members with special interests

Highlights from the Discussion Forum and Blogs

Items that might interest you this month include:

There are also a few posts from grad students in need of guidance around global education as well.

Tips for getting your message across to other GEC members include using the sharing, Twitter and Facebook buttons to share posts. Also, if you want to members to join a project or respond to a question, use the Discussion Forum. If you want to reflect and just generally share thoughts, post to your personal blog within your member page in the GEC.

Two Special Programs Worth A Mention

A college classmate of mine co-produced and co-directed a National Geographic program and a documentary that I think are worth watching.

• Witness: Disaster in Japan aired last night here in the US and I'm not sure if it will air again, but it should be available in iTunes. I watched part of it, and while it's very hard to watch, it's important to get a sense of what people experienced during the earthquake and tsunami.
  • Louder Than a Bomb is a documentary about a poetry slam contest for high school students in Chicago. These kids are amazingly talented and this film is truly inspirational. It's leading to more poetry slams being held around the country for kids (Tulsa, Oklahoma apparently just launched a competition) and the directors are looking to do more outreach with schools. I love this film, and I know you will, too. It has been selected for the U.S. State Department's American Documentary Showcase which is designed to promote global understanding.

The Global Education Conference Update

Steve Hargadon and I are working on details for getting this year's conference up and running. We expect the general intent and format of the conference to stay the same, but due to changes in our work, we probably will be seeking sponsorship. If you want to help us come up with creative ideas to keep this event going, please contact me or Steve. My email address is elemenous@gmail.com and Steve's is hargadon@gmail.com.

In the meantime, please start thinking about your presentations and about other organizations that might want to get involved this year. We'd really like to expand our reach abroad and to include other languages this time around. Stay tuned for more details!

Thanks again for your support!

Lucy Gray

Founder

The Global Education Collaborative

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –