GLOW Conference Update: AfterGLOW
We connect and empower education-focused professionals worldwide through professional learning and networking opportunities.
- Thank you to all who participated in the 2023 Global Learning for an Open World (GLOW) Conference! We extend our gratitude to our dedicated keynotes, presenters, volunteers, and generous benefactors who collectively made this global gathering a reality. Over 140 sessions were held and our registrants hailed from 100 different countries. If you were able to attend live sessions, we would appreciate your feedback.
- For those who couldn't join us in real-time, you still have the opportunity to engage with the conference content asynchronously. All session recordings will remain accessible to registered attendees until December 31, 2023. Additionally, paid access to recordings ($25) ensures availability through June 30, 2024.
- Additionally, resources from the conference are available via this spreadsheet. If you have an event, book, article, website, or organization you would like to share, please contribute to this crowdsourced document.
- We also have started a community in Whats App for those who want to stay connected post-GLOW. There are several groups within this community and all are welcome to join.
- Finally, our keynote presentations are now permanently accessible on our YouTube channel. Our keynote speakers, including Veronica Boix Mansilla, Bonnie Koenig, Marla Hunter, Dr Karena Menzie-Ballantyne, Libby Giles, Faryal Khan, Lasse Leponiemi, Matt Nink, Jesse Weisz, Marilyn Turkovich, Arnd Wächter, and Scarlett Lewis, contributed significantly to the conference's thought leadership. Several key themes emerged from these inspiring talks:
1. Reimagining Education's Purpose
- Education extends beyond knowledge transfer; it empowers lifelong learners, adaptable problem solvers, and responsible global citizens.
- Cultivating solution-oriented thinkers can address global challenges and prepare youth for an uncertain future.
2. Elevating Educators' Role
- Teaching holds the future in its hands, shaping a brighter, healthier, and more just world.
- Educators must redefine children's potential and the essence of education.
- Developing practical global competencies is key to fostering international engagement, collaboration, and adaptability.
- Travel experiences enhance educators' intercultural competence and enrich students' perspectives.
- The shift towards online and hybrid learning necessitates ongoing teacher professional development on a global scale.
3. Empowering Student Agency
- Advancing a narrative that empowers children and gives them a sense of purpose for learning is crucial in education.
- Educators play a pivotal role in empowering children and igniting their passion for learning.
- Educating a generation of solutionaries can solve the grave problems we face in the world and prepare young people for the future.
4. Prioritizing Social-Emotional Learning
- Focusing on wellness metrics and emotional well-being positively influences student behavior and academic achievement and reduces educator burnout.
5. Cultivating DEIJB and Global Citizenship
- Diversity is a source of strength and vitality, not a challenge to overcome, in education.
- Culturally relevant education fosters empathy, understanding, and meaningful connections.
- Empathy breaks down societal divisions and dismantles prejudice.
- Developing a global mindset is crucial for effective international engagement and adaptation to diverse cultures.
- UN SDG Target 4.7 emphasizes global citizenship education for sustainable development.
6. Innovation in Education
- Adapting international innovations to local contexts offers insights for enhancing learning opportunities.
- A culture of experimentation and risk-taking drives genuine educational transformation.
- Cross-border collaboration and project piloting lead to impactful changes and inter-organizational connections.
These themes encapsulate the rich discussions and insights shared during the GLOW Conference, driving forward the discourse on global education and its transformative potential. We encourage you to view these important presentations and connect with the speakers and their organizations.
A huge shoutout of appreciation to Cristina Velázquez (Profe TINA) and Marina Falasca for organizing our Spanish-language sessions and to Cindy Lane, Bea Leiderman, and Dr. Julene Reed for lending support during GLOW. We are grateful, too, for our benefactors, the Institute for Humane Education, the Global Learning Accelerator, Fulbright Teacher Exchanges, MY HERO Project, Digital Promise, and the NEA Foundation. Thank you as well to the dozens of people who supported our event, including our esteemed patrons Michael Ehrenfried, Bridgette Hunter, Navilan NN, Connie Rensick, Heather Singmaster, Neil Snedecker, Linda Staheli, Eric Walters, and Jesse Weisz.
AI Webinar This Thursday
Our next FREE event is this Thursday, November 30th, at 11 AM CST (GMT-6). Join us for a special webinar featuring Davis Jones and Amie Morales entitled Level Up Your Grading with AI. They will debut a new AI-driven tool that will save teachers time. Register to attend live or to receive the recording!
Actionable Innovations Global is an international education community focused on building and cultivating an online ecosystem where innovation thrives. We offer many opportunities for educators and organizations to engage. These include webinars, virtual conferences, and face-to-face meetups.
Please share this information with potentially interested friends and colleagues. Contact us at email@example.com with any questions.