The GCE-US Board of Directors is looking for a visionary and strategic leader to grow the influence, expertise and impact of the US coalition.
The Global Campaign for Education-US (GCE-US) is a broad-based advocacy coalition of over 70 US organizations working to ensure that all young people worldwide are able to realize their right to a quality education. Globally there are 58 million primary school age children out of school and at least 250,000 more not learning even basic skills. More than 70 million adolescents are also missing out on school due to work, caring for siblings, early marriage and/or pregnancy or other barriers. GCE-US raises awareness through events, programs and advocacy to support US leadership in government and beyond to elevate global education as a national and international priority.
Launched in 2003, GCE-US is a 501-c-3 non-profit organization and is based in Washington, DC.
Position: Executive Director
The Executive Director will work closely with the GCE-US Board of Directors, coalition members, and other staff to increase funding for GCE-US’ work, advance GCE-US’s agenda with decision-makers, and continue to build an influential and collaborative US Coalition.
Organization and Management:
- Grow the funding base for GCE-US and manage funder relationships
- Drive strategy and strategic plan reviews and updates, in consultation with the Board of Directors, staff and coalition
- Manage budget and oversee reporting to the Board of Directors and funders
- Manage and build staff through personnel reviews and individual workplans
- Act as the GCE-US liaison with the Global Campaign for Education Secretariat in Johannesburg as well as with other GCE Coalitions around the world.
Policy and Strategy Management:
- Lead overall vision and strategy and strategy consultation for GCE-US
- Manage the Policy and Advocacy Director to reach coalition policy and advocacy goals and build relationships with policymakers
- Advise Board of Directors and coalition members on policy recommendations and developments
- Work with GCE-US partners to provide analysis on opportunities in international education policy,
- Lead the drafting of coalition policy and opinion briefs in consultation with the Board of Directors, the Policy and Advocacy Director and coalition members
- Drive the coalition to achieve the GCE-US strategy
- Expand the reach and influence of GCE-US coalition and build the membership
- Represent GCE-US at national and international meetings, conferences and public events
- Develop and maintain collaborations and partnerships with members, governments, development agencies and other partners
- Increase the influence of GCE-US through strategic communications planning and strategy
- Manage the Communications and Youth Engagement Director to achieve communications strategy
- Ensure the publication of politically relevant media coverage for global education and GCE-US
- Manage relationships with key journalists and media and communications outlets
- Organize events in DC and around the US to raise the profile of Education For All with the media and policymakers.
- Track record of success in developing and managing national advocacy campaigns
- Experience managing coalitions and/or networks
- Significant experience and understanding of international education policy and international development
- Minimum of 6 years policy-related experience in the non-profit sector
- Bachelor’s degree. MA or PhD in a relevant educational field preferred
- Professional expertise in basic education in developing countries preferred
- Strong oral communication, analytical, writing and relationship building skills
- Strong interpersonal and management skills, flexibility, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to motivate and engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations
- Sense of humor
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample by July 15, 2015 to the following Wufoo site: https://edsearch.wufoo.com/forms/executive-director-application/