Your Name and Title: Terry Heick, Director of Curriculum, Social Learning Facilitator, Institute for Habits of Mind

School, Library, or Organization Name: TeachThought.com

Co-Presenter Name(s): Betty Ray, Senior Blog Editor and Community Manager at Edutopia.org

Country from Which You Will Present: United States

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience (such as primary school teachers, high school administrators, students, etc.): Middle and High School, and Undergraduate University Teachers

Short Session Description (one line): In this session, participants will learn how to integrate video games into even the most demanding global learning environments.

Full Session Description (one paragraph minimum): In this session, participants will learn how to integrate video games that address global issues into formal learning environments. First, the evolving definition of a video game will be explored. A quick case will be made for why games have any place in a formal learning environment. Next, a snapshot will be given of how games have been used in classrooms at a basic level. Then, five strategies will be given that teachers can use to integrate games into any classroom K-20 using the given framework for global issues.

Finally, teachers will have an opportunity to brainstorm new ways video games might be used, with the results emailed to TeachThought, then aggregated and emailed individually to each participant for a "goodie-bag" of ideas.

The end result will be a useful picture for the role of video games in the global, 21st century classroom.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session: www.teachthought.com, www.edutopia.org

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Co-Chair

This sounds like a great proposal, but keep in mind that there should be language in your proposal that refers to some sort of global component to gaming. For instance, you can discuss games that connect people or that address some sort of social justice issue. If you can add more language tied to our mission, that would be great. Let me know when you have done so, and I'll review it again. 

http://www.globaleducationconference.com/forum/topics/game-on-with-...

This reply was deleted.