Co-Chair

We're almost half way through our week of global education presentations, and I'm wondering about your reactions to event thus far. Respond in the comments and address one or any of the following questions:

• What are some of your favorite sessions in which you have participated? 
  • What resources presented have you found valuable? 
  • Have you made any new contacts or friends through conference interactions?
  • What is one new idea or resource that you're planning to implement in your professional practice?
  • Any other reflections?

I'd love to know what you are thinking!

Lucy Gray

Conference Co-Chair

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One theme that stands out to me is that voices of individuals need to be heard.  In "Louder than a Bomb," the voices of the students were heard as their inner fears, upsets, loves, and dreams were shared for all to hear and applaud. These are authentic voices; Students have their own stories to tell.  They don't need the "prompts" that present day education forces kids to follow in preparation for tests.  In "Schooling for the World," voices of mothers and children needed to be heard; forcing one kind of education upon people is not a good fit.  In fact, it is peril for many.  Simple agricultural cultures have their benefits and we could learn from them.  Howard Gardner talked about people as multiples of talents.  Education needs to be changed to address the needs of each student.  There is no one particular type of learning style;  Each individual is made up "individual" strengths.  So what is the theme?  Look, watch, listen...treat people with differences with respect.  Learn from others; Don't impose your thinking upon others.  Individuals do not fit in molds.  Allow each voice to be heard - the voice of students, the voice of people, the voice of cultures. 

• I just read Carol Black's Guide to "Schooling for Children."  I wish I taught high school to use this guide.  The questions are pause for deep reflection before and after students preview the movie.

I've had time to process as I cook for Thanksgiving.  The "party" at the end of the week summed it all up how caring and needed global education is for teachers and students.  Where do we go on this journey of global collaboration?  There are so many wonderful programs!!!!!!  COLLABORATION is key.   Instead of waiting once a year for this collaboration, mini-collaborations can occur throughout the year.  It is clear we were together in the global mission during this conference.  Many of us will take ideas and run with them.  Many of us like the continued support; Once a year is not enough.  How do we reach even more people - administrators who are willing to back interested teachers so there is not so much isolation in one school district.

Authentic voices of children and adults came out loud and clear in this conference.  I believe everyone at the conference has a story.  Why not make an anthology of our stories for teachers to read.  Some people live among cultures, some people travel short term, some people celebrate the diversity of students' cultures in their classrooms.  We need to share the huge stories, and the not so huge stories.  Mix them up, so teachers can choose what to do without being overwhelmed that they have to live in the culture to make a difference.  (I so envy those that can do that).  

Whatever it takes, I'm aboard.  What a week to absorb!!!!!  I have never been happier with the wonderful people who took part in this conference.   

• Hi everybody! I like to be a part of this global event! I like all the sessions here. The worst thing is that I have to visit it at night because of time difference.

Larisa Tarasevich

Russia

• I just watched Louder than a bomb

Really liked it , will show it to my collegues-also keep them informed on what is happening during this conference

ThANK YOU ALL

• Hi Lucy, the conference presentations I participated in were wonderful. This is an amazing conference.  The biggest obstacle is the teaching schedule--early to late. It's difficult to find time to participate on top of all the regular responsibilities. Although, I can't think of a time without constraints.  Next year I think I'll plan my students' efforts to somewhat coordinate with the event--I'm thinking of a proposing a presentation that involves students more directly too.  Thanks for asking, and thanks for your incredible effort and energy--it has made a difference in my teaching.  I appreciate it.

• I just watched Carol Black's film, "Schooling the World."  It was brilliant and powerful!  Carol's use of quotations, photography, cinematography, primary sources, interviews, and music brought forth the power of her activism.  After having taught elementary school children for over 33 years to help them learn the respect of cultures and people, this movie was a "next step" for me.  Having visited Hopiland, and talking to so many who did not make it in the economic world that they were forced to mold to, many have come home to reengage in their culture.  And there are those now, fighting with depression and drugs, thanks to the world that was forced upon this rich culture.  It is obvious by this film that one shoe does not fit all.  The beauty of cultures need to be respected and revered.  This is a must-see by all.  I can't wait to meet Carol on-line tonight!  Again, Lucy and Steve, to bring this conference to people all over the world has been an unbelievable experience I hope many have been able to experience and learn from.  I am deeply in debt to both of you.

• Would this film be appropriate for young children to watch or is it strictly for teens and older people?

• Co-Chair

Greg, one of the directors, said it's appropriate for middle schoolers on up. In fact, they've gotten a great response from middle schoolers in general. There may be a swear word here and there, but I don't recall specifically any from the movie. 

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

• Co-Chair

So glad to hear this! I'm worried that people will miss the documentary opportunities this week! Carol will be keynoting this afternoon US time, so I hope you'll stop by for that!

• I wouldn't miss Carol's keynote!  Also, I just watched "Louder than a Bomb," and intend to see Keynote speaker, Greg Jacobs this afternoon.  Every teacher should see this documentary and every school system should provide students with the opportunity for students of all walks of life to develop a voice and come to terms with life, express their unhappinesses and dreams for the future.  All students can be "hungry" to write and express themselves in their authentic voices.  Kudos to Chicago for giving students a sense of self and the Siskal/Jacobs production for bringing this story public.  This movie is uplifting, powerful, and thank goodness we don't have to hear more about test prep and test scores.  This is authentic learning and schools need to take note!

This reply was deleted.