Return to Nature

Looking for a collaborating 4/5 classroom, US or WW that is interested in studying its local school environment and comparing it to another. Would need internet connection, simple videoconferencing capability (skype and web cam) and teacher email only. I have an idea that would support a project we are doing at school and at the same time might be interesting for your school. Several 4/5 grade classes are cataloging the flora and fauna around our school as we get ready to restore the small stream (now more of a ditch) that runs along side. We are creating a field guide with everyone contributing their species description, natural history, a photo, and more. They are also learning which organisms are native, which are not, which are invasive and should go, which are native but missing and should be reestablished. Wouldn't it be interesting to compare the native habitat of your area with ours? I know we'll have a lot in common (esp. invasives!) and big differences as well, given our disparate climates and ecologies. I can write this up more formally but what this would do for us is: - help students understand how our local environment compares with another place in the US - give students an authentic audience for their research - give students a window on other students' world and a chance to make friends - learn about the concerns of other places-- how might another student body choose to improve their school? - practice writing, practice speaking, practice using technology as an aid to accomplishing meaningful work Let me know if this sounds like a project for your school!

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,
    My fourth grade students have worked on this very same project at our school and have created a field guide and podcast walking tour of our Outdoor Classroom space. It would be great to connect our students together.
    • This sounds terrific. Where are you located? We are in Eugene, OR. Maybe we could do a skype call soon?
      Jane
      • Hi,
        We are located in Spring City, Pennsylvania. Skype would be great, just in the evening- it is blocked at school...lvnitsche on Skype
        • Let's talk next week. I have an afternoon meeting on Wed. with teachers where we will scope out the idea a little more, esp. the collaboration part. How about some time Thurs?
This reply was deleted.