I am looking for high school classrooms outside of the U.S. for a global issues project. I would like to develop a project to allow students to discuss, research, and share information about a global issues that interests them. The scope of the project could be small (one time discussion) or large. My class is comprised of students ages 13-17. The course loosely follows the IB Theory of Knowledge curriculum. We have great technology resources in our school. Hoping to create a project for the 2008-2009 school year. Let me know if you are interested. Respond here or send me an email (jbugenhagen@umasd.org). Thank you!

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Jeff. I was a Fulbright Scholar in Beirut Lebanon and while there met a headmaster of a private school who may be interested. He is a member of my non profit, Global Visits. I introduced it as a group with this network. You can contact me via www.globalvisits.com and I can make the introduction from there. I will tell you that the private academy is Christian. This might work because the students speak English. Most of the schools in Lebanon spoke either French or Arabic. This posed a challenge for us as we had our high school with us, who ended up taking primarily university courses or was tutored. The school year was also a bit off from our in the US.
    • Hi Betty,

Thanks for your reply, and for introducing me to the globalvisits site. I will try to contact you there.

I did complete a wiki project last year with a classroom in France, and I wanted to try again with 2 or 3 classes. You can see last year's wiki at http://globalconnect.wikispaces.com/.
      I would like to redesign the project with a clear focus, but the main goal would be to encourage open discussion about current global issues, and the appropriate use of technology in a global world. My class is small, so I would only have 8-10 students participating each term.

Thank you and regards,
      Jeff Bugenhagen
      jbugenhagen@umasd.org
  • Hi Jeff,
    I am a history teacher from the UK looking to work with a US school initially on something historical - probably migration. This is a key theme in our schemes of work, especially in the 'America' depth study we do with our 14-15 year olds. Migration is also particularly topical in our area at present. Our students are aged 13-19 and are increasingly coming from lots of different parts of the globe. Is this an appropriate project for you?
    Emma Holness.
    • Hi Emma,

Thanks for replying to my message. My course is outside of our history curriculum, so I'm not bound to any specific topics, but I do wish to focus on current global issues. Migration and refugee issues are definitely of interest. My hope was that I could encourage an ongoing discussion on a wiki, perhaps related to the United Nations millenium goals, and how these are perceived and experienced by young people in different countries or cultures.

I did complete a wiki project last year with a classroom in France, and I wanted to try again with 2 or 3 classes. You can see last year's wiki at http://globalconnect.wikispaces.com/.
      I would like to redesign the project with a clear focus, but the main goal would be to encourage open discussion about current global issues, and the appropriate use of technology in a global world. My class is small, so I would only have 8-10 students participating each term.

Let me know if you think this would be a good fit. If not, I would be happy to help you connect with the history teachers in my school.

Thank you and regards,
      Jeff Bugenhagen
      jbugenhagen@umasd.org
      • Hi again Jeff,
        Will confer with my colleagues when school starts for us - September 1st. I think this looks interesting but will reply in more detail later.
        Emma Holness.
This reply was deleted.