Co-Chair

World Languages & Global Cultures

I'm meeting with a group of middle school world language teachers on Monday to discuss technology integration ideas. Languages taught in this school district include: Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, German, Italian, French and Spanish. This school district is also developing courses involving world cultures and global perspectives and are particularly interested in resources related to world geography, Africa, Australia, and world folk tales. I personally am interested, too, in any curriculum that's been developed around teaching global awareness. If you are interested in collaborating with these teachers, mostly like for the next U.S. school year, please reply here. Also, if you have any recommendations for teaching these languages, technology-based or otherwise, please feel free to post them here as well. Here are some of the bookmarks I've been collecting: http://del.icio.us/elemenous/foreignlanguage Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of Actionable Innovations Global to add comments!

Join Actionable Innovations Global

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lucy I wonder if language teachers would like to use the art history of the language they are teaching. At this point I have art from France, China, Japan and other parts of the world. It is written in English and in some cases there is a voice over. The site is being build over time. The teachers can find it at
    ahaafoundation.org

If you all feel you can use the site I would love the names of the teachers so that when I apply for a grant I can prove that the site is being used by teachers around the world.

Thank you
    • Co-Chair
      Hi Katherine -

You are responding to a post that I wrote over a year ago and it just occurred to me that there isn't a subgroup in the GEC for world language teachers. I just created one and hopefully people will join. If you want to find GEC members who teach world languages, do a search on the member page.

Your site looks like a nice start. I have a few art history sites bookmarked in Delicious: http://delicious.com/elemenous/art_history. My favorite one is this: http://www.smarthistory.org/. I also am a fan of HyperHistory, which has been around for a long time, but I think gives some interesting perspectives on history: http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html.

I noticed you have your project listed twice in the Global Education Project spreadsheet. Which entry should I delete as they appear to be duplicates. The first or second one?

Thanks,

LUcy
  • Hi Lucy,

I teach Chinese in country Victoria, Australia and I'd be really keen to be involved. My main interest at the moment is enhancing my language teaching with technology and I'm using blogging and podcasting a lot at the moment. I also use a lot of games in my classes (not computer ones) which are really popular with my students. I've got a lot of them listed on my blog (under Resources) as well as ideas for ICT integration and what I'm doing at the moment. There is a link to my blog on my profile page, as well as the technoChinese blog I use with my students. Hopefully that is helpful!

Looking forward to the ocnversations.
    Jess
    • Hello Jess,

We'd STILL like to put a webcam in your classroom to share your teaching skills with the world! Even (or especially) people in China would like to see how you teach Mandarin to native English speakers. Are your students able to blog in Chinese?

John Beloit
      (Sarah, Pendera, et al)
  • Hi Lucy,

We'd be interested in collaborating for next year. Shady Hill School teaches Mandarin in 5th grade as part of their Central Subject theme of China. One of our apprentices here is working on a mandarin education video game--I'll get the info for it and put it up here.

Jen
  • Hi Lucy! I would be glad to help, but I'm not sure what I can do. I'm from Argentina, so Spanish is my mother tongue. I teach Enflish as a foreign Language and I love experimenting with new technologies. As I told you through skype just let me know if you need something.
  • Hi Lucy,

As a Japanese language teacher interested in digital media, I would be happy to contribute if there were an interest. It would mostly have to do with such things as the power of video projects (what to and not to do to make them powerful for language learners), as well as community-focused projects and their use in international exchange projects.

I should mention that I'm writing you from Japan right now! Tomorrow we'll head from Kyoto to Nagasaki where we'll meet with a professor and students with whom we did a great wiki project over the last few months.

Shoot an e-mail my if this sounds like it might fit.

Take care,
    Rushton
This reply was deleted.